Sunday, November 23, 2008

Weight gain!

Good evening to all! Today went very well in the Helmick house. Ava has only gotten sick twice and they were both small amounts, probably less than 40ml's a piece. We are waiting for her every three day stool. (I know gross but we are waiting.) I keep forgetting to tell you all how well she is doing growing. She is up to 24.5 pounds! This is 5 pounds heavier than just seven weeks ago. Before all her problems began she weighed 19.5. Her length has ski-rocketed too. She is 35 inches tall!

I want to thank my aunt Janice, my cousins, Mindi, and Heidi for our lunch today. The meatloaf was so good. The girls loved the potatoes and the corn was to die for! We are so blessed to have such wonderful family members!

As usual here are a few pictures of today!







Some of you were asking about Ava's arm. It does look much better than it did. Here is what it looks like today. I put mineral oil on it about 4-5 times a day to keep it moist. We call it her ouchy. We try to keep her sleeves up so air gets to it at all times. The burn doctor told us that she will have a scar. Her skin will never be the same color. It makes me so sad. To this day I really have not dealt with all that went on with her burn. If I make myself go there it is just too hard. I know in time I will have to face this head on. This should not have happened.

Her head, where they took the skin graph is healing as well. Her hair is coming in faster than I had anticipated.


So we are happy with how she is doing. Her heart rate was much lower last night and she only woke once. She was up while I did her medicines and took her temperature. Then I put her Elmo video in her portable DVD player and 35 minutes later she was sleeping. What did we do without portable DVD players before now?

I hope you all have a good night. Thanks for checking in on our family. We love that you care!

~The Helmick's

4 comments:

Jen said...

Ava looks so much happier at home!! I love seeing those Ava smiles. As long at the burn doc says it's okay, Vitamin E oil is fantastic for scars and keeping the skin soft and moist. I'm amazed how quickly her scalp is healing and her hair is growing back in. However, Miss Ava is pulling off the "bald and beautiful" look very well! Hair or not, she's such a beautiful, sweet little girl.

Jen

Cindy said...

I'm so glad y'all are finally home, and that's fantastic about the weight gain. Her arm looks so much better, and her hair is growing so fast!

kmm0305 said...

I can't tell you how happy I was to read the post that you were HOME!! Many things to be thankful for this week. Hopefully her tummy will get better and better each day. I always thought that Ava looked bigger/taller than Leah--I think Ava may have an inch or so on Leah. ;) We have a shortie, lol. Good about the weight gain--hope it keeps up! Its always so much harder to put it back on (except for those of us over the age of 20!). ;) Love the pictures of Ava and her sisters.

Baylee and Blair's page said...

I'm so glad that Ava is doing so well since you have been home. Her arm burn just looks painful! That is awful that it even happened!

Hugs - Tiffany