Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Surgery tomorrow

Hello all. I am so tired. It was such a long day. Ava's backwards swallow test went fine. It showed that there was no obstuction in her large bowel. (colon) So we are happy with those findings. Her surgeon wanted us to wait until February 16th to do the surgery but I explained to him my feelings. I told him about my dream and that I have been feeling that "the time is now." He then told me that he was going to be out of town next week and that made me really nervous. Then after about a half an hour of discussing her behavior last week he said, "How about tomorrow?" I was speechless. We then agreed that it was best for her to be well and that he would definately be doing the surgery. I feel at peace with this although I am scared to death. We have to leave for the hospital in just 7 hours. Here are a few pics of the day.



She pretty much cried this whole test.


Miss Ava weighs 25 pounds.


She was 37 inches tall. I was shoked. She has grown so much the last two months.


My happy girl.


She also had an ultrasound done of her kidneys and bladder. We were just checking as a followup after her almost bout with dialiais when she was in the PICU. We didn't get the results of that test.


Mommy and Ava are exhausted. This was shortly after we got the news that the surgery was a go for tomorrow.


I'm very afraid. Please pray for Ava and all our family as this is so difficult again to surrender our baby to the hands of some one else. Pray for strength. We know she will go to PICU right after her surgery. Surgery is scheduled for 7:15 am. I will try to get ahold of one of the hospital computers and update as soon as I can.

Thanks for your support, love and prayers.

~The Helmick's

17 comments:

Craig and Kristi Kuehl said...

Ava is SO AMAZING! I will be saying my "special" prayer for her for tomorrow's surgery. Everything will go great! You are all in my thoughts and Ava is such an inspiration to those of us waiting to "fight the CDH battle"! I appreciate you sharing her with us.

Much LOVE!!

Dotty said...

May God's hand rest on you and your family as you endure this next step. May Ava recover and heal quickly and may she only get better and better. ill also pray for strength for you. many thoughts with you.
Blessings
Dotty

My Three Sons said...

I believe God has chosen this path and that is why he made her surgery available for tomorrow. He is reaching out and telling you that this is fine and I will pray that he guides your doctor's hands to the most perfect surgery ever. Hang in there. I know it was sudden but think how much better she is going to feel when she recovers!!! We will be blessed with even more happy smiles from her!

Take care and I will be saying extra prayers!!

Angie said...

You will be in my thoughts and prayers as I go to be tonight and in the morning as well. Miss Ava is SOOOO strong, she will pull through this fine. You are a great mother-way to follow your gut feelings.

Praying for you all-Angie

Anonymous said...

Terri,
Our prayers are with all of you & especially Ava.
She will be fine. I hope that you will feel peace when she is in surgery.
Ava is one tough little girl and she will keep fighting!
Many, many blessings to all of you!
God bless Ava!
Jeanie

Unknown said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with your family and especially Ava. She is a fighter and she will continue to fight.

God Bless you and your family.

~Catherine (Jack Jensen's Aunt)

mel said...

Hi Terri,
We all will say that one extra prayer for you all and especially little miss Ava. I am glad they decided to do the surgery tomorrow, hopefully Ava will be on the road to recovery soon.
Please take care, you look exhausted, we are all thinking, prayering and knowing that your little trouper will do fine yet again. Shall touch base tomorrow. Good luck and our very best from the other side of the world.
Mel and family. xo

the meyersons said...

We are praying for you tiny Ava. Mom and dad too. I'll be on the computer one million times checking on her.

Jen said...

I'll be praying for you guys in the morning. Ava's such a very strong little girl and she'll come through this with flying colors and be feeling better than ever in no time. I'm sure it will feel nice to have this big hurdle behind you after tomorrow. Hang in there, Terri!!

Jen

Amber said...

Ava and your family are always in my prayers.Tomorrow I will send lots of extra prayers Ava's way!!!!

Amber

Anonymous said...

We will definitely be praying for Ava as we always do!! She has been so strong through everything, I know she will do great tomorrow. Get well soon Little Ava!! May your guardian angel be with you and protect you.
Love,
Olivia and Family

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

You guys are always in my thoughts and prayers. I will say extra prayers for Ava and the hospital staff working on her tomorrow. Thinking of you all.

Amy

*super dude and super dog* said...

We'll be keeping you in our prayers for surgery. Ava is such a strong little girl and she'll be just fine. Hang in there!

JenOPCer said...

I've been praying for Ava, even though I don't know you all. She has touched my heart. She's beautiful and you are a wonderful mommy. -- Jen

Kathyb1960 said...

I am praying for her!

The Lord is close to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth.

~ Psalm 145:18, NLT

Anonymous said...

I pray to God our Father that he keeps Ava strong and safe. I hope that you feel comfort and peace as he guides the surgeons that heal her.
She is one tough princess and I am amazed at her strength and courage.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading Ava's blog for a little less than a year now.....it's amazing how your precious little girl can inspire so many people such as myself. It's heartbreaking to hear what she and your family goes through but you take each day as they come and try to stay positive, that is a special gift to show others. I'm praying for Ava and all of you as she goes through yet another surgery. She is such a fighter and an angel sent down to us to teach us all what not to take for granted. I feel blessed to be able to read your blog about Ava everyday....thank you and god bless. Katie