Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Out of Surgery

So Ava got out of surgery about an hour ago. We waited for her the last hour in her room in PICU. (room 15) They brought her in and wow it hit me again that she is very sick. I don't think a mother can ever get used to her child being hooked up to so many wires and tubes.

Her heart rate started climbing so they gave her more pain medicine. Right now she has an epideral. She is also on Fentnyl and Versed. The surgeon said all went very well. They had 4 sections of her bowel that had to be repaired. One spot was very narrow and had to be removed and the intestines had to be sown back together. Her belly was tight so they decided that the ventilator needed to be left in because of possible swelling of her insides, that might cause difficulty breathing. She is already fighting the sedation. Her eyes can open three times and she keeps trying to cough. Her tongue is also moving around a lot. They want her to rest well today and tonight.

I don't have the hospital laptop yet so I can't post pictures. I know I'm sorry. It would break your heart though. She is such a fighter and is giving it all she has got!

Thanks so much for all the wonderful supportive messages. I cry reading them every time. It gives me the extra boost I need to get through this very difficult time.

So right now she is stable.

As with before we ask that we have no visitor. If you would like to send something you can email me directly at mycdhlife@gmail.com. Thanks again.

~Terri

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God.
Fight the tough fight Ava. You are such a brave little lady. You are going to be home before you know it.

Terri, you make sure and keep yourself rested and comfortable too. You are Ava's mommy and yes you have to take care of her, but you are only human and you need to take care of yourself too. You have raised such beautiful children, its amazing how much they have endured. You should start your own TV show. Miss Ava and Lexis and Emeline would love that.

Stay strong all of you!

mummy to angel SKYLA said...

WTG Ava, you must be one of the strongest little girls around. You have been through so much sweetie. Lets hope this is all nearly over so you can go home with your family. I hope you get that nasty tube out very soon. Keep fighting sweetie. We are all praying for you.

Kristy, mum to Angel SKYLA, LCDH

Craig and Kristi Kuehl said...

Hang in there, Teri, you are all doing great with what has been a CDH rollercoaster! NEVER doubt what a little fighter you have in Ava. She is truely 'AMAZING"! God is listening to our prayers and He WILL make her healthy!! Kiss her sweet face for me and tell her that there is another Mommy in California, with a CDH baby in her tummy, that gets inspired daily by her story :)

Amber said...

Praise God!! I will continue to pray for Ava has she gets through this next hurdle!!

Amber

Anonymous said...

Terri - I have been following your blog but haven't ever commented - I can't say anything better than what God has already said:
2 Cor 12:9 My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.
Ps. 91 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
I'm praying for Ava and your family.

Kathyb1960 said...

Terri, she is in my prayers. I know she'll do great, and heal quickly! She's a little trooper!

You try to get some rest, too, now while you can!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

You hang in there......she is gods special little fighter and i know she will come out of this just fine. :) I can't imagine seeing one of your baby's in that state she's in but think about the positives that will come out of this in the end and getting it done with and behind you so Ava can be her normal playful self again! Prayers with Ava and all of you right now.
Katie

Aep said...

Terri, Glad to hear that the surgery went well. I can only begin to imagine how tough today must have been, but you are the strongest person I have met and an amazing mommy!!!
My prayers are with Ava and your whole family tonight and throughout her upcoming recovery!!
Hugs, Ana and Marco

My Three Sons said...

I actually got to read about this a lot earlier when we were at Occupational Therapy. I just can't seem to get my phone to leave comments.

I'm so glad to hear that Ava is out and doing okay for what she has just been through. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. I will say lots of prayers that she has a speedy recovery!

Liz and Shane said...

I have been glued to my computer any chance I could get to hear news from you.
We are glad the surgery went well. Give Ava a kiss for us. She is an amzazing little Princess. We are praying she heals well.
Love,
Liz

Jenn M said...

Thinking of y'all Terri and lifting Miss Ava up-- heal sweet girl, heal!!

Anonymous said...

Our family is praying for yours. God bless you all.

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

I am glad that everything was repaired without any major incidents. Poor baby girl, I couldn't even imagine waking up to all of that. I agree with you, it never gets easier seeing them that way. It breaks my heart that these precious babies go through all of this.

Stay strong Ava and you will be home in no time.