Thursday, January 29, 2009

Not so fast.....

Okay so we are waiting a little bit. I was concerned with taking the tube out too soon. They started her on a drug called Propofol. This helps to sedate her as they wean the medicines. She is now off the Versed and they are switching her from Fentanyl to Diladid. She is still on the Dex and antibodic I mentioned last post. They will be starting her on a new antibodic as soon as she is extubated.

She is resting very well now. Brian and I joke and say her heartrate and blood pressure are fake. Her blood pressure was 67/ (I can't remember that number) and her heart rate is 98. Yeah right. This is the side effect to several of these meds. She has not moved on her own since starting the Propofol. She seems fine. I changed her Hicmann line dressing this morning. It was due to be changed yesterday but since Miss Ava had so much going on it had to wait. Then this morning it was driving me crazy so I said, "Girl today is the day!" Her nurse Katie was my assistant. It was kind of nice to get help! We put on her "Wiggles" friends so we will see what happens.

Dr. Volk wants Ava, as I do, to prove herself and breath on her own. They have been lowing her vent settings and she has tolerated it all very well. So we shall see. I'm imagining that it will be more toward early evening, late afternoon before she is extubated. We want her ready, that is for sure!

Also her tummy is measuring 51 cm's. This is to be expected as her intestines were messed with yesterday. I just can't help but think of last time. Things were going well and then the third day things went down hill but as many of you have mentioned it is a "New day." She is much stronger now.

I still have not gotten my laptop but as soon as I do I will post pictures! Thanks again!

~Terri

3 comments:

My Three Sons said...

Well Ava is going to get it right on her own time. So if you have to wait a little bit longer to get her off the vent, she will be just fine!!

I'm sending lots of prayers your way.

God Bless

Anonymous said...

Ava, you are amazing. Keep up the strengh little sweetie. You are an inspiration to many.

Terri, I believe that God continues to walk with you as your journey contineus.

God Bless .

Tiffany Frericks said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am still thinking about all of you. Ava continues to astound me! God is still with her, every step of the way, as he is with you Terri. Hang in there!

Tiff