Wednesday, January 28, 2009

In surgery

Thanks you all for your prayers. We didn't get much sleep last night as you can imagine. Ava slept well actually, only waking once briefly. I suctioned her and then she fell right back into a deep sleep.

Lexis and Emeline were sad but we reassured them that they would see her soon in the hospital. I took pictures of them kissing her. They love her so much.

We got here at 5:30am and was immediately taken back. We always have to make sure she is taken to a private area, away from people. We went over everything again about the surgery and I asked if I could go back with her to surgery since she was very nervous. Her dad was stroller her in the stroller trying to keep her busy, but I think she just knew.

I was asked if I perferred that she get a little anxiety medicine, through her central line, before they even took her back. I agreed quickly. They made me gown up as though I was going to be there for surgery. We were taken back and I was amazed at how small the room appeared. Ava was not afraid any longer. She was just looking around at everything and everyone. There was approximately 10 people in the room, that was another thing I was shocked about. (I specifically told them I wanted no students of any kind. That is my right.) I was informed that they were all needed. I was kept reassuring her that all these people were here to make her better. Then they told me that I should give her a kiss and talk to her. I bent down and kissed her forehead and told her I loved her so much and that I would see her in just a short while. I stayed in the room until they administered the sedation. An over whelming feeling of grief hit me as I left the room. I started to tear up. My baby was in their hands.....but most importantly she was in God's.

So we are now in the waiting room. The surgery is expected to last 5.5 hours. Our wonderful nurse practitioner, Josh Peterson (His wife is overdue and he is in with Ava per my request.)just came back about a half an hour ago to tell us that they just started surgery and that everything was going fine. I asked about her heart rate and her blood pressure. ALL GOOD. So this is where we are....waiting.

Please keep Ava in your constant prayers as she once again fights with this cdh beast.

~Terri

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terri,
I have just prayed the most powerful prayer I think I could have possibly prayed.
Just keep thinking of God and of those angels that are in that room right now making sure that God's will is carried out.
I do not know you all, but I feel like I truly love that little girl.
God Bless You. God Bless You. God Bless You.
Patricia C

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am just a stranger from afar who has followed Sweet Ava and her progress for a bit...wanted you to know that I am praying for Ava, and also for you and your family. I can't imagine what you must be feeling and wanted you to know we are praying for you all....

Fer said...

Dear Terri,

As I read this I pray the Lord to give you the strenght and peace you need during these difficult hours. I am praying for the surgeons so they can finally fix Ava and I am praying for her and for a speedy recovery.

Fer

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri.
I found your blog through Angel Elli Reed & have been an Ava supportor since. God is with you and your family, exp Little Ava. She is a beautiful strong little girl, and although I only know her from your posts she has touched my life. You are an amazing mother! (I could never take on the home care like you have!) God bless you today and always.
Amanda

Darcy said...

You all are in my prayers this morning, especially that sweet Ava. I pray for peace, strength and a good recovery.
darcy
http://ittybittyblog.wordpress.com

Cindy said...

Just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for Ava and her surgeons. Thanks for keeping all of us "blog fans" posted.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,

We've been following Ava's journey and will definitely keep her in our thoughts today. I know the surgery will turn out just fine. Stay positive and remember what a strong little girl you have!

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,

We've been following Ava's journey and will definitely keep her in our thoughts today. I know the surgery will turn out just fine. Stay positive and remember what a strong little girl you have!