Sunday, February 1, 2009

O2 gone!

I am happy to report that Miss Ava no longer needs oxygen. They took her off of it last night and her stats have been high! She IS really resting comfortably. Sadly for the first time in a very long, long time. I have never seen her heart rate this low. There is no explanation other than that she is healing and it is her body's way of telling us she is on the road to recovery.

She was awake for Brian most of the night. They were playing. Since we were so concerned about her heart rate the doctors kept coming in and checking on her. They decided to run a oxygen level check on her blood and it came back fine. They also called pain management to see if the medicines in the epidural could cause this and they said no. She hates anyone in a white coat now. She cries instantly. The nurses she has become very leary. She was much more awake and as I said spent most of the night up looking around. I did wake a few times to her crying. She is afraid. Brian takes great care of her so I get up and calm her a little and then go back to sleep.

Grandma Helmick brought the girls up this afternoon. It was so nice to see and get to hug them. Lexis does have a cold but we just had her wear a mask. She didn't mind at all. Ava smiled for the first time at Emeline. (naturally) She adores Emme! I already feel her started to get down and depressed. They told us that if all goes well tonight that they will be moving us to the surgical floor tomorrow. I do feel ready this time. I think it will be only a matter of a week and we will be going home. (Of course that is what "I" think.) I know they are going to want her to have a bowel movement. She will probably be on the epidural for another 3 days or so. It's a little more difficult when she will only be able to get Tylenol for the pain when it is removed. All the other Narcotics cause her to itch.

We thought since she was up all night that she would sleep today but quite the opposite, she feels like something might happen if she surrenders to sleep. When I left the room she had just fallen to sleep. Her heart rate was in the low 90's.

I have not let my guard down yet. We know with Ava we always have to be one step ahead of her. She pulls these outrageous stunts, as though to say, "Look at me I'm not a typical patient. I deserve all the extras." She wants to assure them that while they she is here they WILL learn new things and have to broaden their horizons. It just stinks for me. I have to be the one thinking of the "what ifs" and the "what's next?"

Our nurse Amy, last night said, "Guys this is how a normal hospital surgery is supposed to go." It is funny because we just don't know what "normal" is anymore.

I do know that God is a loving God. I prayed and prayed that this time He would spare Ava so much extra pain and heartache. I asked Him to give us the strength to fight this with open eyes and trusting hearts. I am ever so grateful that things have gone so smoothly. I just didn't know how much more pain I could see her go through. So far I have been in amazement of His mercy.

She is healing so well and I believe her pain is little. I held her for about 4 hours this morning. It felt fabulous. She is still my baby. I thank God for giving me such a wonderful family.

Thanks for stopping by and for caring. You will never know how much your thoughts, love, and prayers mean to our family. We are thrilled that so many have reached out to us. God is good.



My Three Sons said...

What a GREAT day!! I'm so thankful that God is giving her so much help with this surgery.

Sounds like the big sisters had a nice visit as well.

Take care and I'll keep sending prayers your way.

Anonymous said...

This makes me so happy. :-)
Patricia C

Owain's mommy said...

I am so glad that things are going much smoother this time around.

Always in my prayers!


Anonymous said...

hi, i am a nurse in a hospital in MD and i have been following Ava's
amazing story! WOW!! you are the most amazing family and Ava is lucky to have you all. it sounds like she is really on the road to recovery! take care and i will continue to check in!!!

Amanda Turner said...

I have been following your blog for sometime now...right after her rehurniation. I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for sharing your/Ava's journey! I have prayed for her every day since the last surgery she had. I tell eveyone I know about her when "CDH" comes up, and I even posted your last video of Ava on my facebook page for my friends to say a prayer for her! So many people are praying and pulling for her! What you all have been through not only shows how horrible this CDH monster really is...but also what a courages little girl you have! It is so apparnet the love you have for the Lord, and He has truly shown Himself through Ava!
God prayers are always with Ava, you, and your family!

Amanda Turner
Mother to LCDH daughter- Raelyn

blairspage said...

That is wonderful. Maybe she had such a high heart rate because she was in pain and that was her body reacting to it. You know how tough our angels are! That is wonderful that she is feeling better!

Hugs - Tiffany