Monday, December 1, 2008

I know who holds tomorrow.

Ava and her "Grinch" smile!


Well Ava has been in a very good mood the last 24 hours. It is so nice to see her little spit fire personality back! She is so smart, this little lady. She knows how to take her own temperature and how to put the stethoscope on her chest and tummy for us to hear her with it. Funny huh? She has also been taking her own IV pole along with her where ever she wants or needs to go. She is a character that is for sure!




For those of you that want to know and see I have decided to show you her stomach. I didn't post it before because I thought it wasn't appropriate however I feel that now you should see for yourselves her true condition. It is not a very good thing to see so if you are at all squeemish look away from your screen now!! She is no where near healthy. She is still a very sick and fragile little girl. Her Hicman line makes her at a huge risk for infection. Her open belly has to be protected at all times. I just wanted you to know that just because she is home doesn't mean she is well. The great thing about being home is that she is in our nice, warm, safe invirnoment. She needs that right now more than ever! Don't get me wrong she is doing very well for the stage of this she is in right now. God has been good to us and we are so thankful to Him!

(See she does still has her belly button it is on her right side!)





This is her large bandage that covers the hole. She is such a stinker! Smiley pants!




I've had a very hard few days. It seems like when you are down that is when the enemy (I call it the devil) sends extra hard things your way. I try to rise above it but I am human and things naturally bother me. I know that this is just what I have to handle at the moment and as many a good friends have reminded me, "THIS TOO SHALL PASS!" I just trust that this is all part of God's "Master" plan!

I took a few pictures with the girls over the weekend. They are such amazing daughters. I owe God so much for blessing me this well! So here we are. Unfortunately we left Daddy out so his time will be later. It was all about the girls!










Thank you all for your continued support. I often bring this song to my mind when I am going through hard times.

"I Know who Holds Tomorrow." This is the chorus

Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand,
But I know who holds tomorrow and I know who holds my hand.

That is so true we can't be sure of what lies ahead we just have to have the Faith that God is there and He will hold our hand through all life brings our way. He knows and He cares.

(One more thing...My dearest cousin Mindi went in for surgery this morning. Will you all say a prayer for her that things go well and she heals fast? "Mindi we love you!")

~The Helmick's

6 comments:

Aep said...

Terri,
You are an amazing woman, your strength not only helps you manage those tough days but also carries through your family, your daughters, and others around you. You are always in my mind and when I am having a down day I think of you and your strength, your faith. It clearly shows that although this isn't easy you find the will to carry on and Ava feels that and that is why she is fighting so hard. She is also an amazing little girl, who will go so far in this world. In 2 years she has experienced but also accomplished more than many adults can only dream. I know she will do great things, that smile is just captivating!
My prayers are with you all especially during this Holiday Season, may you all find comfort and peace.
Hugs,
Ana and Marco

Walker Family said...

Terri,
It is such a blessing that she is able to be home, I am sure that helps her rest and feel better. Nothing like your bed to make everything a little easier. You are doing an amazing job taking care of all your girls, and they are so lucky to have you for a mom.
We are praying everyday for Ava's continued progress and that she is feeling well.
Katherine, Dave and Benjamin

Liz and Shane said...

You amaze me with your strength, you are an incredible person. You can see in the pictures that Ava is so happy to be home and it looks like its helping her. We pray for her each day.

holly said...

Hi,

Thank you so much for posting on my blog. Reading Ava's story is very heart warming and inspiring.

We are still a little shell shocked with the diagnosis of our little girl. I'm sure as time goes on I will have more questions. Would you be willing to answer some of them as they come up?

Again thank you for your kind words.

Holly
www.livejournal.com/~mcstarling

Baylee and Blair's page said...

You are an awesome Mother! I'm SO glad you did show the pictures of her belly. It helps me to better understand what's going on with her! And, it's part of her! I've been praying very hard for all of you. I love the pics you took of you and your girls! TOO CUTE!

Hugs - Tiffany

Your Gospel-Loving Friend said...

I'm not sure how I stumbled upon your blog but I will pray for Ava's recovery! My son is 2 had also had DH, his was right sided and after ECMO for 6 days, he had his corrective surgery at 9 days old. Now he's doing well & we too praise God for giving us such a miracle.

It's so neat to see another little one who God has used to touch others!
Sarah