Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Bike accident + Ava = Emergency Room Visit

Good Afternoon family and friends! Yes you read that right. Last night Ava and Emeline were riding their bikes. (Remember Ava just learned to ride a bike by herself a few months ago.) She was going pretty fast and fell hard. Emeline being the loving sister she is carried her on her back all the way home. Thankfully they were only a few blocks from our house. When she came through the door I heard, "Mom Ava is hurt." I hate hearing those words.

Ava started crying hysterically and that made me very nervous. Her right knee was very bloody and her hands were scrapped and very swollen. The more I looked at her the more scraps I saw. I was very concerned as she was crying uncontrollably. I gave her ibuprofen and asked if she could take a couple deep breathes. She wasn't able to. She started coughing and choking. I was starting to feel scared for her. I was starting to feel a little light headed trying to figure this all out. I told her that if she couldn't take a deep breath and try to relax I would have to leave her with Emme and go outside. I felt as though I was going to pass out. She didn't want me to leave so she started to settle down. I then with Emme's help rinsed off her knee. It was multiple scraps but nothing too deep. However she couldn't walk on her leg. I asked her what hurt the worst. She said her fingers. She cut her three middle fingers pretty bad and they were swollen almost twice their size. Brian had come in and I told him what had happened and that I thought she should go to the emergency room for a couple xrays as she couldn't bend her knee or her fingers on her left hand. We packed her up in the Suburban and headed to the ER. She was doing a little better by now and was no longer crying.

When we went to the hospital we could see it was going to be a LONG wait. All the chairs were full. It wasn't something I was expecting. So after an hour and a half we finally saw a doctor. We went over what had happened and her health history. I could tell he was surprised that this little girl had been through so much. He pulled on her leg to check her knee and thought it wasn't broken. Her fingers he was concerned with so he ordered a few x rays.

Here is a few pictures we took while we were waiting. She was very cold, thus all the blankets.









We waited again for another several hours to find out the results... no broken bones!! I was so glad and relieved to hear this! The doctor told Ava she would be sore for a few days and to take some pain medicine to help with that. They also wrapped her fingers as they were sprained. Ava was so happy to be able to leave the hospital. I was too!!

We sure would appreciate some healing prayers for her. She's a tough little bird! She seems to think she is all grown up. She went to school today and did well. I sent Emme along to help her with anything she may need. She was thankful to have her big sister there today.

She came home and took a nap. That is NOT like little Ava. Her body needs extra rest. Thanks for all your love, prayers and support. They are greatly appreciated!

Again I thank God for these "normal" everyday scraps and bruises... she's an overcoming in all sense of the word!

~Terri

No comments: