Tuesday, June 17, 2008

13 Years of Marriage and the MORE Flooding!

Today is our 13 year Wedding anniversary! Wow life just goes by so fast. I remember our wedding day so clearly. It was very hot and humid. The church had NO air conditioning so the service went very fast. I surprised Brian by singing a Firehouse song, "I Live My Life for You." I recorded it before hand so that if I couldn't sing it then you would still be able to hear it. To my surprise I didn't shead one tear. I knew he was my guy. I can't imagine my life without Brian. We met at the down town driving strip for teen-agers. Did I just say the word, "strip?" I haven't used that word in some time. I'm not sure what we will do to celebrate tonight probably nothing fancy! I'm just so glad that I found Brian. He is the love of my life!



I took the girls down town again today to see the flood. Last night another levy broke and the water is very high. It is supposed to crest tomorrow so let's hope we get no more rain and the waters can reseed. They closed the Great River Bridge (for the first time EVER!) so we will have to drive two or more hours out of our way when we leave on Thursday. I told the girls what's another two hours on top of 16 hours? Oh I don't even want to think about the gas prices... I took some more pictures. So here they are...Please keep Iowa in your prayers.



This picture I took looking over the flood. This is about 5 blooks from our house. The water is all the way accross the railroad tracks and into town! See the white building in this picture? The water normally stops before there.




This is the Memorial Auditorium it's basement is filled with water. This is a closer picture of the white building from the top picture.



This is where Steamboat Days usually takes place. Do you see the building in the distance? That is our Port of Burlington. Normally the water is on the right side of this structure.



As you can tell the news media is everywhere downtown! We saw NBC, CBS, and CNN. They were doing an interview when we walked past. The city officials are asking everyone, not go down town, but come on.... We want to see the flood up close! I guess that is why I took them down this morning. There were not many people. In the evening the streets are full.



This picture is of the Great River Bridge that is now closed because of the water that is on the road after you cross the bridge over to Illinois. We are basically stuck here. The only bridges around that are not closed are the St. Louis and the Davenport bridge. (Both extremely far away.) The trees you see they are normally along the riverfront NOT part of the river!

No comments: