Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Scoliosis Back Check up.

Hello friends! Ava's been doing well. She had a cold a few weeks ago. I started her on her asthma regimen of Symibcort, Albulterol, Atrovent and steroids and it cleared up in less than a week. So happy about that. There is so many illnesses going around right now. I seriously want to stay home and be locked up. Many of you know I watch my sister's four year old twins during the day while she works. They have had the stomach flu and the respiratory flu for the last two and a half weeks. It's been rough. Ava is learning to wash her hands and sanitize whenever possible. I'm a little OCD about germs... she may have gotten that from me!

I can't believe it's been six weeks since she got her brace. Yesterday we went back for an X ray check of her brace. The doctor says her brace is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing. Ava's curve without the brace is 26 and when she is in the brace it lowers her curve to 12. We want Ava's curve to, not necessarily get better (although wouldn't that be a miracle) we just don't want it getting worse.

They want no metal on your body so we came prepared. She wore a bra that had no metal and a plain shirt with stretch leggings. (We caught the lady at the desk off guard....she said you will have to change out of your jeans... Ava says THESE are NOT Jeans they are leggings! Oh the Joys of what comes out of this child's mouth get me every time!)


This is her newest x ray. The first picture she is in the brace (yesterday) and the second photo is her without the brace. (6 weeks ago.) Seeing that change makes me smile! Ava says "I guess it is doing something!"


I've been so proud of her. She has really been wearing it for the 14 hours a day. So the deal we made is if she sleeps in the brace all night then she doesn't have to wear it to school. If for some reason she is not able to sleep in it at night then she has to wear it to school. Sadly even with all those sleeping hours she still has to wear the brace another 3 to 4 hours after school. She has no problem at all with the brace. It's just become part of her. This morning she had left it out in the living room and it was so bizarre to see. Thinking back wondering and asking God "WHY did I have to break my back and wear a stupid tight restricting brace?" Well now I know. I have so much empathy and love for her and this brace. So sometimes when we question why God allows bad things to happen I refer to things like this. I have so much more compassion for her.

The doctor wants us to keep doing everything the same. He wants to see her back in 6 months. Yikes I thought it would be sooner but if she has no issues I guess that is a good thing. Plus we all know how fast 6 months goes by!

Ava sent me this snapchat picture yesterday. I just HAD to share it. She's growing up WAY too fast. She's a good little girl with a sweet, kind and loving heart. She is so outgoing and not afraid of life. It's all so simple to her.


Thanks for stopping by and for those of you that pray for us THANK YOU so MUCH! We certainly can feel your love, support and prayers. God is good!

~Terri

2 comments:

The White family said...

Say glad to read the update on Ava! Wow the pictures sure shows the difference on and off. Glad that she doesn't mind wearing it :) She is such a strong beautiful girl Terri! Love you all!

Sandy Daron said...

PTL!!! HOW AWESOME!! Even I could tell the difference. Ava is amazing and so beautiful!

Love ya,
C.O.L.E.s Foundation (Caring Openly, Loving Eternally)

www.colesfoundation.org
Jesuslivz@att.net