Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Ultrasound-Drain Removal... More Questions.

 Hello friends! This morning on our way to An ultrasound this morning because of low volume output in her abdominal drain.

Ava's drain was 5 ml's for 2 days in a row and no output at all this morning. 

She was not like herself today and I can understand completely. I know all too well what it feels like to have medical issues with no answers only more questions.  It's awful. I can't imagine being 15 and dealing with all of this!


She looks thrilled doesn't she?


Last week during her hospital stay, they called it "free fluid". I read through the CT results at home (through my charts) the radiologists call it a large cyst. Here is what the reports say...

#1 *CT scan from 11-2-21 Tuesday
Peritoneum: There is a large cystic lesion located in the pelvis and lower abdomen measuring 20cm by 15cm (8 x 6 inches) No soft tissueenhancing mass.

 #2 11-9-21 Tuesday CT scan one week later... (half the size)
Simple RLQ cystic collection is seen with partial visualizationof the uterus. The drain is seen in the RLQ, but the end of the
drain is not well visualized due to bowel. Simple cystic collection measures 10.6 x11.7 x 9.5cm, ( 4.2 x 4.6 x 3.7 inches) which is decreased in size compared to the most recent CT dated 11/2/2021.


You can see more fluid is in the first scan and still half the fluid is still there. Scary, huh?

It gets even more bizarre. The doctor said he could were not get to the fluid collecting. They did a CT of her,  while still in the procedure, on the table. This other fluid collection wasn't responding to the one with the drain in it. He needs to talk to surgery as to what the next step should be. Right now since it's not infected he says it's not emergent. It's so strange. He said she cried and didn't handle the procedure very well. On the way home she explained that during her heart catherization the doctors talked the entire time explaining what they would do next and how she would feel. Dr. A did not talk to her at all. God did bless her with a wonderful nurse who empathized with Ava and quickly comforted her through the entire 45 minute procedure. It's sad she has to endure all these difficult medical situations. She was so upset with the whole situation and with me as well. I understood and was very understanding. She can put it in me I get it. God helped me see it is how she handles tough medical circumstances. I know she doesn't mean anything bad by it. It's how she copes.

We have another ultrasound and then an appointment with her surgeon Dr. Shilyansky November 18th. Dr. A will discuss Ava's results and findings with him and they will come up with a plan. He mentioned a few "options" to me and I do not want to share them as they are very invasive. 

The drain was taken out and we now wait. Ava is to tell me if she has pain. I pray the first fluid collection stays gone and that the second cyst stays secure and does not grow any bigger. I was not prepared for "another curve ball" today. I do know God uses every hurt, pain or trouble. He makes a way when doctors don't see a way. Thanks for your continued love, support and prayers. Good news is she is feeling better so THAT is huge! God Bless.

-Terri

4 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Terri….
Thank-you for the update on Ava…. I have been ‘checking up’ on her!! ;)
I am praying for answers to your questions about Ava’s ongoing mysterious health issues, and, {last but not least}, I am praying for HEALING!! ;-D
Peace and Love, Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

I have been praying for Ava. Thanks for the update. I will continue to keep her in prayer and continue to pray for answers to all questions and complete healing.

Unknown said...

HI Terri,

I just realized I can leave a comment. DUH. I am sorry Ava is having such a hard time. I pray for answers SOON!!

Love ya,

Sandy
Cole's Foundation

Gayl L Elam said...

Terri, Ava and family,

I always forget to come to this site. I sent message on your page earlier.

Not the news I wanted to hear but at least in a wait and see pattern and praying the pattern stays good.

Sending Love, Prayers and Hugs.

Gayl